Woman calls 911 to report home invasion

After receiving a call reporting a burglary in progress on Thursday, April 11, several units from the Okeechobee County Sheriff’s Office responded to Jack’s Camp in Douglas Park on Northeast 16th Avenue at approximately 5 a.m. While en route, dispatch advised that a male suspect was attempting to break in and had a gun. Later the caller reportedly said he had kicked in the door and she could no longer talk. Dispatch said they could hear the suspect yelling, and they were unable to obtain an apartment number.

Upon arrival, dispatch informed the deputies that the suspect had left the apartment, and as they approached the apartments, they could hear a male and female arguing. It was then, Deputy Ryane Ammons said, he noticed a black male standing in the road near the mailbox of the apartment. He was holding a blue can in his right hand. The male was given several orders to drop the can and show his hands but kept refusing and instead, he reportedly reached for his waistband multiple times. Then, the suspect allegedly removed his shirt and began reaching behind his back. At this point, one deputy deployed his taser, but he still continued to resist arrest, and Deputy Ammons realized the first taser probes must not have maintained contact, and he deployed his taser, which was successful in bringing the suspect to the ground. When the taser cycled off, they were still not able to apply wrist restraints because he reportedly tensed his arms and kept them under his body, so he was tased a third time before he was finally restrained. Deputy Ammons reported a strong odor of alcohol coming from him.

A female nearby identified herself as the woman who had been arguing with the suspect but denied making the 911 call. Deputy Ammons then began looking at all the apartment doors to see if any had been broken in, and he found one with a large shoe print on it. The same female reportedly told him she had been staying there, but she said no one kicked in her door and said she and the man were just arguing.

Witnesses stated the male and female argue all the time.

The male was arrested and charged with disorderly intoxication and resisting an officer without violence. His bond was set at $1,500. He was medically assessed due to the use of force, and no injuries were found. No firearm was found on his person or in the area.

You are encouraged to leave relevant comments but engaging in personal attacks, threats, online bullying or commercial spam will not be allowed. All comments should remain within the bounds of fair play and civility. (You can disagree with others courteously, without being disagreeable.) Feel free to express yourself but keep an open mind toward finding value in what others say. To report abuse or spam, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box.

Facebook Comment